Question
Posted by: CODE | 2003/01/21

HOW MUCH ENERGY DO I NEED?

How much energy (calories) should I be eating if I cycle indoors 3 days during the week for 40 minutes, and do 40 minutes weight training on the upper body along with a 20 minute cycle the remaining two days. Weight = 53 / 54kg and am 1.68m tall. My fitness bike says a burn + - 230 calories every 20 minutes. Would this be considered a low or medium workout? I have been eating between 1.200 and 1.500 kcal per day. I cont seem to get rid of this little roll on my stomach. When I cut down on calories I don't feel like I have enough energy to exercise in the morning but if I eat then the stomach remains. I cont seem to find a balance that will get rid of this problem. Can you please give me a little advice. I have been doing this close to 3 years now.

This is really a question for Dietdoc, but what I can add is that you can't really cut down on calories, since you seem to be eating the bare minimum and perhaps too little. I personally would recommend a session with the Dietician to see how you can optimise your diet. Your exercise programme is fine, although I would add some variation into it. ie I would vary the cardiovascular workouts and include some other optins as well as varying the intensity of the workouts. Some you could workout for longer and at a lower intensity, others at a high intensity - this could help to boost youir metabolism.
Your sessions seems to be at a moderate to high intensity.

I hope this helps.