Question
Posted by: ash | 2004/10/25

HOW MUCH CALORIES SHOULD I EAT A DAY TO LOSE WEIGHT

Hi I would like to know how much calories should i consume per day in order to lose weight. Can anyone help me? I am 1.60m tall, an I weigh 59kg, i am currently eating 900 calories per day, Is this too much or too less? an my last question is: If you look on the nutritional information on a food item, is all the fat, carbs an protein added already to give you the energy in kilojoules?

Dear Ash
Your current BMI = 23, which is very close to the ideal of 22 for which you need to weigh 56 kg, so you only need to lose 3 kg. I therefore do not understand why you are only eating 900 cal - you should be having 1500 cal which is a moderately energy-reduced diet and will give you the desired results without you developing cravings and getting tired and faint. The energy in kJ or cal is the weight of the protein and carbohydrate added together and multiplied by 4 for calories or 17 for KJ plus the weight of the fat x 9 for cal or 37 for kJ.