Question
Posted by: nikita | 2007/03/16

how much?

How much is SRS in South Africa?

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

In South Africa you are mostly looking at private rates for surgery. Medical aids also doesn't cover the costs. You need to tell be though a bit more, if you are asking for SRS, are you looking for the costs for MTF or FTM?

Either way, I will give you a little bit of answers of costs I know of. If you are FTM and looking for costs of chest surgery, that vary between R15 000.00 and R26 000.00 (average of a few people). Hyst etc can vary in more or less the same price range. I have no time relevant price range for phalloplasty but is is estimated at about R150 000.00 (or more?).

If you are MTF and looking for prices for surgery, I would need to have a bit more detail, i.e. do you want BA included, did you have already ocidectomie? All in all I estimate you are looking at about R80 000.00 - R120 000.00

1
Posted by: Tina | 2007/03/17

Nikita

The costs for SRS alone is somewhere in the region of R100 000 and R120 000 if you look at the few private doctors that perform such operations

You can have a look at two institutions Pretoria Academic and Groote Schuur (CapeTown) where the costs will be less then 10% of the above figures.

For SRS in Tailand (most popular) you will need around R100 000 at the current exhange rate. This will cover all expenses which includes traveling, medical pre-tests, passport (if you have not got one already), visa, accomodation, etc

Tina

Reply to Tina