Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/27

How many portions

Dear Doc

Can you tell my how many portions of carbs should one include for

1. Weight loss
2. maintenance

I am 36, 1.73cm tall and currently weigh 76.6 kgs and would like to loose 6.6 kg by eating more healthily. I know how much veg/fruit and protein portions to use, but I am unsure of carbs and would appreciate your help as I am not planning an acutual diet but would like to be aware of how much of what I am eating.

Dear Belinda
Your present BMI = 25,6 which is just above the upper level of the normal range (18-25). If you lose 6.6 kg then you would have a BMI of 23,4 which would be good. To lose weight adult women should reduce their energy intake to about 6300 kJ/day of which about 65% should be provided by carbs, thus an intake of about 250 g. Generally speaking this would translate into 4-6 carb portions per day (about 2 per meal - for example cereal or porridge and a slice of bread at breakfast, 2 slices of bread at lunch and a serving of cooked rice, pasta, etc for supper).