Question
Posted by: WENDY | 2004/09/30

HOW MANY KG OF MUSCLE CAN I GAIN / LOOSE IN A WEEK?

How many kg of muscle can a person pickup in a week of doing strength training? I'm a 27 year old female. To give you an idea of my exercise routine:
Legs: (Done twice a week)
Leg press 130kg for 15 reps
Leg Curls 40kg for 6 reps followed by 6 reps of 35kg
Leg extensions 12 reps of 30 kg
Donkey Calve Raises 18 reps of 90kg
Lunges with 15kg on my shoulders 12 reps on each side
Each exercise is done 3 times and I superset.

Arms: (Done twice a week)
Biceps Curls 12 reps with 15kg barbell
Triceps Pushdowns with 35kg 12 reps
Bench Press 20kg for 12 reps
Shoulder Press 7kg for 12 reps (last set with 6kg)
Pecdec on 12kg for 12 reps

Also, how many kg of muscle can be lost if a person is unable to train for two weeks?
Can I train legs twice one week and arms once and the following week arms twice and legs once without loosing muscle. Is it enough for muscle gain?

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Fred,

Thank you,

Wendy,

Fred is on the ball!

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

p.s.-it is not very likely that you will attain any significant increase in muscle mass in a period of 7 days-the best would be to check yourself monthly.

1
Posted by: Fred | 2004/10/07

Train each bodypart once a week. This is enough for most people including Dorian Yates (former Mr Olympia). Never train a muscle group that is still very sore. If it remains sore for over 96 hours you have trained with too much intensity and must reduce the weight or amount of exercise you do. Aim for a slight soreness in the muscle over two days following your workout.Not much muscle will be lost in two weeks although you would lose some tone, pump and maybe a little bit of strength. However it may actually make you stronger due to giving your body a rest and time to build up the body. Remember that exercise breaks the body down and draws from its resources. The time it builds is when you are resting and eating (anabolic state). You should gain a maximum of 1kg a week and it's most likely that part of this will be fat.

Reply to Fred