Question
Posted by: Tiny | 2007/03/14

How many calories should I burn ?

Morning ,

I am 125kgs and my daily diet consists of two tins of tuna and raw green veggies in the evening. I drink about 3 litres of water per day as well.
I don't lose weight as I expect to...
I gym 4 times a week and do all the cardio exercises. My average calorie burn per night is 1000. Is this enough ? I take about 60 mins to burn these calories. I sweat like a pig but don't seem to lose weight. Must I burn more calories or maybe change my exercises ?

Tiny

Dear Tiny
If you are not losing weight with this starvation diet and all the exercise you are doing (1000 cal/day is plenty), then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess if you don't perhaps suffer from insulin resistance and also provide you with a balanced diet (the tuna and green vegies are excellent foods, but you can't just eat them all the time - you will develop deficiencies). You are doing sufficient aerobic exercise and you should also keep in mind that exercise increases your basic Metabolic Rate for up to 24 hours afterwards, so you would burn even more calories. So don't change your exercises, but do please see a dietitian to change your diet.
Hang in there