Question
Posted by: Cindy-Leigh | 2005/06/29

How many calories do I need per day

Hi there, I'm hoping to find out how many calories I need per day, without starving myself, but still with the option of loosing weight. I am 30 years old, I weigh 58 kgs, am 158cm tall. I've gone to the BMI, BMR, WHR and healthy weight tools and it all says the same thing, I'm "borderline" I'm trying to loose and am being pretty good about it, have lost some already and therefore am still pretty motivated. But I do need to know how many calories I can take in every day, and still loose weight but get enough to not be unhealthy.

Any and all advice with specific reference to how many calories I need to be working with will really be appreciated.

Many thanks
Kind regards

Cindy-Leigh

Dear Cindy-Leigh
I worked out your BMI as 23,3, which is within the normal range of 18-25. I think you need not lose more than 3 kg to achieve an ideal BMI of 22. According to international recommendations you need to ingest 1500 cal a day to lose weight without starving yourself. This should result in a steady weight loss of about 0,5 kg per week. You don't want to lose weight too fast as such weight loss usually results in rapid weight gain.