Posted by: Me Again | 2007/05/30

How many calories

I do cardio 45 minutes plus weights 20 minutes at least 3 times a week, how many calories or KJ should I stick to a day if I want to lose 3 to 4 kilo's obviously in the best time possible,
and once I have achieved this,
how many KJ should I stick to a day to maintain my weight with and without exercise (I'm going on holiday soon and no gym in sight so will probably just do the usual crunches)
I've always gone for "low fat" options but after reading up on this site I think I've learnt it doesn't matter as long as you don't exceed your daily calorie "allowance" - is that right? because I sometimes feel I'm missing out on "luxuries" and sick of snacking on pumpkin seeds and raw peanuts but anyway I usually try and opt for healthier foods, eg. don't drink gas drinks, seldom eat deep fried, skim milk not full cream and so on, all because I'm vain at this point :) I'm not a person that can stick to a "diet", I tried dieting ONCE, the Kellogs diet and gave up on the second day as it gave me a headache.
ANYWAY back to the point, how many calories should I try not to exceed ..........THANK U IN ADVANCE:)
p.s. I'm female 32 yrs old and my BMI is 22.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Me Again
Why do you want to lose weight when your BMI is ideal?? Generally speaking you need to reduce your energy intake by about 500 cal or 2100 kJ a day. So for adult women this would amount to an intake of about 1500 cal or 6300 kJ a day to lose 1 kg per week. To maintain body weight, which is what I think you should actually do, you need 2000 cal or 8400 kJ per day. The reason why people are advised to cut down on fat intake is that fat provides the most energy per gram of all nutrients (i.e. 37 kJ per gram), so cutting down on fat intake reduces energy intake more than cutting out carbohydrates or proteins which provide about 16-17 kJ per gram.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.