Question
Posted by: Fi | 2007/03/28

How long to lose weight?

i am a 21 year old female at the weight of 165lbs. i am 5foot 3inches tall. i have been doing some cardio activites now for about 2-3 weeks and have not lost any weight. i thought people were supposed to lose around 2 lbs. a week when doing cardio exercises. i have been eating healthier. i don't understand. i was anorexic for about 5 years and i am trying to not go back to that, but me exercising and not losing weight is crushing my spirit. anyway, what can i do to start losing weight and how long will it take to see results? i appreciate it.

Hi Fi

Don't worry, you won't lose weight this quickly. In fact, it often happens that people gain weight in the first couple of months, because their muscle mass goes up as a result of training. When this happens, people often panic because they think the training is not working, when in fact, they should be pleased.

And as for the theory that people will lose 1 kg per week, well, that's not true at all, because it all depends on what that person is doing, how much they weigh in the first place, what they are eating, and their genes. All in all, too many factors to try to guess how much weight someone would lose.

Now in your case, just take it easy, you've given yourself only 2 weeks. I would not even stand on a scale for about 2 months, never mind weeks. Don't worry about the number on the scale, just make sure you are getting fitter and feeling better. That should be your goal.

Finally, a word of caution and advice - check your diet. It's vital that you eat well at the same time, you really need to make sure of this. Eating healthily is great, but it's probably important that you see someone about it and just make sure. You can eat healthily and still eat too much, so look into that if you can.

But overall, give it until the end of May, then get back on the scale and see how you are doing.

1
Posted by: Fi | 2007/03/28

i am sorry. also, i wanted to know how come my pants are fitting tighter than they were? is this normal. i feel fatter than i was. why is this happening? t/y

Reply to Fi