Posted by: Elsje | 2008/07/01

How long should you stay in the Sauna

How many times per week and how long should you stay in the sauna and should you shower before you go in!!!!?????
Cant wait to hear from you thank you

HI Elsje

the recommendation is about 10 to 15 minutes, but that's a relatively bald assertion, and I must confess that I don't know that it's ever been studied. I don't think people would even know what to study, never mind how to do it.

The suggestion is more likely based on comfort, and safety, with a bit of a "buffer" built in. You'll know from your experience that spending a lot more than 15 minutes in the sauna can start to become quite uncomfortable. So my practical advice would be to limit it to 10 minutes, or discomfort, whichever comes first.

In terms of showering, that's mostly hygeine related, there's not much physiological benefit. Though, I will concede that in Scandinavian countries, they like the idea of ice-baths followed by saunas, so there is some thought that a cold shower will help. I'm not convinced, though the perceptions of people is still important and may be important. I'd shower at a comfortable temeprature, before and after.