Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2005/07/26

How long is the critical period in pregnancy.

Can anyone tell me how long the "critical" period is in a pregnancy? I'm 5 weeks pregnant!

If you mean the high risk period for misacrriages - up to 12 weeks.

4
Posted by: Sam | 2005/07/27

Theoretically 12 weeks but if you get to 16 weeks, your chances of having the baby are exceptionally good!

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/07/27

The critical phase is until your second trimester. You'll see the time will fly by, I'm 4w3d today, so just a little bit behind you!

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: lulu | 2005/07/26

Giving up smoking will go a long way to make sure of not miscarrying.

Reply to lulu
Posted by: samantha | 2005/07/26

I think you have a 20% chance of a miscarriage at this point, and from 13 weeks about a 1% chance. As each week goes by the risks decrease.
However you look at the stats, there is more chance of a successful pregnancy than not. Take your folic acid, avoid very hot baths, and see your gynae at any sign of bleeding.
Try and think positively!

Reply to samantha