Question
Posted by: Flipside | 2004/10/28

How long does substances remain tracable in blood

Dear doctor,

How long does illegal substances remain tracable in standard blood tests? I need to undergo blood tests for insurance purposes but have used illegal substances a couple of months ago. I do not want it to show up in the blood tests.

Expert ImageArchive

Most recreational drugs have a half life of less than a week, so after 2 weeks you will be "clean". However marijuana can be positive for quite some time in chronic abusers.

Insurance companies usually do not test for these substances, except for cotinine (a metabolite of nicotine) to confirm your non-smoking status.