Question
Posted by: Mel | 2004/01/22

how long does it take one to healthily loose 20 kgs??

Hi there, I'm thinking 6 months to loose 20 kgs? Whats your take on it? I presently weigh 80 kgs and I'm a chick! My goal weight is around 60 kg. I need to say to myself....by this date I'm gonna loose this much but I just don't really know how to pace myself or how long I should give myself, realistically speaking. Oh yes and one more thang...dont know if can help but its worth a try, I would like to know how many teaspoons of olive oil can I have per day in order to loose weight effectively ? Olive oil is my only source of fat in my diet.

Thanks stax

Dear Mel
If you are eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet and doing some regular exercise you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week, thus about 4 kg a month. Your target of 6 months is a realistic one. Slow, steady weight loss is ideal so that you don't regain weight you have lost. If you are on a low-fat diet, then you still need about 50g of fat a day, which translates to about 3 tablespoons (3 x 15 = 45 g) of oil or margarine per day.
Keep up the good work

1
Posted by: Brit | 2004/01/22

In order to lose weight and keep it off - you should not aim to lose more than 0.5kg - 1kg per week. Anything more than that is not healthy and chances are you will just gain it all back.

Unless you are only eating fruit and vegetables, olive oil will definately not be your only source of fat, remember that most food contain at least trace elements of fat - even those that claim to be fat free.

Reply to Brit