Question
Posted by: Georgia | 2007/06/12

How long do I wait before trying?

Gynae doc, I would appreciate your answer on this one. I had a D & C and laparoscopy after a blighted ovum two months ago. The gynae said she would prefer that I wait 3 months after the op to try and conceive, but I didn't ask why. Is it really necessary to wait 3 months?

The reason for this advise is purely theoretical and in our experience as gyn's that your body AND mind need to overcome and heal from the lost pregnancy. Also the effects of the pregnancy hormones which need to settle back to normal after the loss. There are reports that there is a higher incidence of miscarriages or early pregnancy complications with trying to conceive too early after a "failed" pregnancy. 3 months is completely reasonable.