Question
Posted by: RUBY | 2004/02/19

how long can you take pill,how often should you break routine??/

i have been on the pill for 5 years and have not stopped to take a "breather". lately i have been just spotting when it was time for my cycle and then next month i bleed really bad in those few days. i take fermodene. please let me know if i should stop or change the pill. should i stop for a few months and then re-start. i am now 31 years old.

You can be on the Pill for many years and it is not necessary to take a break at all. If you are now having breakthrough bleeding, the first thing to do is to have a cheek-up with your gynaecologist to be sure that there are no problems with the uterus or cervix. If these are normal, it may be necessary to change to a higher dose Pill.