Question
Posted by: M | 2005/12/05

How long can I stay on the pill?

First of all I would just like to thank you for this forum.

I am almost 25 and I have been taking the pill for 5 years. Over the five years I have changed pill a couple of times and now I take Mirelle (supposed to be the closest to my natural cycle). My GP says that I can stay on it indefinately until my husband and I decide to start a family. I have had irregular cells in my annual pap smears so I go every six months for a pap smear (my GP puts this down to stress).

My concern is how long can I stay on the pill? SHould I take a break? You hear these terrible stories about infertility and people often say it is the pill.

Thank you.

dear M

Your GP is correct in that you may remain on the pill indefinitely or at least until the age of 45 or until you are ready to start a family. The pill does not lead to infertility. There are usually other factors responsible for the infertility which people assume is a direct consequence of using the pill.
The pill is safe to use provided obviously that you do not have any other risk factors such as a tendency towards thrombo-embolism or deep vein thrombosis or any history of liver disorders, as the pill than becomes a less safe option. In partilcular, if you suffer from porphyria, than I would advise you not to use the pill for much longer.
It also been shown that the use of the contraceptive pill can be protective against the risk of certain cancers in later life, namely ovarian as well as endometrial cancer.
There is a slight but insignificant risk associated with breast masses which are mostly benign, and is most unlikely a contributory factor to abnormal cells in a pap smear.

1
Posted by: M | 2005/12/07

Thank you!

Reply to M