Question
Posted by: caelant | 2006/04/04

How long can Chlamydia remain dormant?........

There is so much information on the internet about chlamydia, it's hard to know what advice/information to believe.

After the usual symptoms, I was tested 3 days ago for chlamydia, put on doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 7 days, and got the test results today.
Positive!
Thankfully I am feeling much better now, but still not at 100%.

I have been in my current relationship for 8 months now, and have not been with any other partners during that time. My girlfriend also states that she has had no sexual encounters since we started seeing each other.

I talked to my girlfriend about this the day I went to the doctor, both before I went and after. We initially thought it was a uti until I had seen the doctor.
She was tested for this in february with her annual exam and was negative then. She visited her doctor today and was tested again, also receiving a course of medication just in case. We are waiting now for her results.

The question of infidelity always rears it's head in situations such as this, but the information out there, and from doctors, is contradicting at the best of times.

1. How likely is it that she could have been tested in february and had a false negative?
2. Can chlamydia lay dormant, produce negative test results, but still be passed on?
3. How long can chlamydia remain dormant before surfacing as an acute infection?
4. Could it be possible that I had chlamydia before we met 8 months ago and it only showed symptoms now? If so, I would have thought that after 7 months of unprotected, and very frequent sex, that she would have had a positive result in her february check up.

I have seen everything from symptoms will show in 1-3 weeks after exposure, to chlamydia laying dormant for many years.
The information on medication and treatment can also differ greatly, but from what I see, I have been put on one of the most frequently prescribed treatments.

Any help, and accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The only reliable Chlamydia test is a Urine PCR test - it is very often not picked up in a blood test and also a Vaginal swab can sometimes not pick it up.
Chlamydia
Also known as
Nongonococcal Urethritis (NGU), Mucopurulent Cervicitis

Caused by
Chlamydia trachomatis bacteria

Incidence
The most common sexually transmitted diseases in the U.S., with over 4 million new cases a year.

Symptoms
Women: About 80% of women have no symptoms until serious complications occur. When early symptoms do arise, they are likely to include unusual vaginal discharge, burning sensation with urination, and unusual vaginal bleeding.

Men: Up to 50% of men show no symptoms of infection. Among those that do, the most common include: unusual discharge from the penis, burning sensation on urination, itching and burning around the urethral opening, pain and swelling of the testicles, and low grade fever.

Incubation
Early symptoms, if they occur at all, will usually do so within three weeks of exposure, but usually 2 – 60 days.

Diagnosis
Culture of discharge, blood serology, or urine test.

Complications
Is a common cause of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) and Fallopian tube scarring which subsequently can lead to infertility and ectopic pregnancies. Infants of infected mothers can develop dangerous eye infections during birth if left untreated.

Treatment
Antibiotics, usually doxycycline or tetracycline.

Likelihood of your long term sexual partner being infected is 20 - 40 % .