Question
Posted by: Discouraged | 2008/06/13

How long before AD meds kick in?

Dear CS
Briefly, I have a Dx of F33.2, Rx-resistant, no Axis 2 Dx, hospitalised 2 weeks in April 08, been on Cymbalta 60mg daily for 12 wks, WellbutrinSR 150mg BD for 7.5 wks as add-on, and Lamotrigine 100mg saily for 1.5 wks (not including ramp-up period), also as add-on. Wellbutrin has helped with fatigue and with being able to cry again and feel emotions and it is very tolerable side-effect-wise, but my mood is no better, no pleasure in anything, can’t think or concentrate, no motivation beyond what simply MUST be done (single parent of 2 children, work etc). Useless at work.

My pdoc said I have to wait, it hasn't been long enough for meds to work (I assume lamotrigine?), but I did not get a chance to ask how long it might be and he is so hectically busy, it's hard to get to talk to him and I don’t want to be a nuisance. My next appt is 2 July. I am just SO discouraged, crying several times a day and feeling SO hopeless again. So many failed AD trials.

Can you give me any idea of what sort of time frame I still have to wait, so I can psych myself up for it? It seems endless and so very dark, and alone… and pschotherapy is only every 3 wks, due to cost.

Thanks in advance.

I think it's very important for a doctor to frankly discuss the diagnosis with us, but not in numerical terms ! ALl the meds take time to exert really noticeable effects ( only seatives tend to be felt rapidly, but they're just not very useful ). Generally, it's considered that 2 to 4 weeks is the period it takes for antidepressants to have noticeable benefits ( though earlier is of course allowed ! ) YOu will get through this and into sunnier fields, so hold on there. And meanwhile, as other questions occur to you, jot them down so you can ask the docs when you next see them, and get a reply based on their more detailed knowledge of your condition

3
Posted by: T | 2008/06/13

lol so you should feel right at home here then. take my hat of to the psychiatric nurses, us bipolar people aint so easy to deal with. a couple put together in hospital...eish. surely something must have triggered it again. ag ja wat, so it goes ne. shame man i feel for you

Reply to T
Posted by: Discouraged | 2008/06/13

Hi T
I trained as a psychiatric nurse, long ago, but have also had several episodes of depression, so you get to know the area pretty well. No fun at all. Especially not after having been in remission for several years until about Sept last year :(
Isn't 2- 3 weeks a bit early...?

Reply to Discouraged
Posted by: T | 2008/06/13

wow! looks like we should be consulting you, all those terms :) mosr meds take about 2 to 3 weeks to kick in, after 2 months you should get your best results.
Single parenthood is tough on its own, being ill is the last straw. It will get better, you have to believe that! good luck, hoope you feel better soon

Reply to T