Question
Posted by: Capricorn | 2006/08/01

How long b4 marriage 2 use contraceptiv?

Hi, I'm getting married in the middle of November. How long before that should I start using contraceptives? And what would be a good one to use? I've been told it should be used about 3 months before? But I'm just not sure? Would that mean that I should use it the end of August? Or end of July?

Dear Capricorn
The only reason we say that you should start about 3 months before marriage is so that we have time to change the contraceptive if for some reason it does not work well with you. There are plenty of low dose modern contraceptives available and your GP will be able to decide which one will be the best for you depending on your family history and current medical condition, whether you are overweight and smoking or not, whether you are prone to migraine or blood clots etc. Best is to go to a gyne / your house doctor to start with a prescription.

1
Posted by: Angie | 2006/08/01

Well, the sooner you start, the better. Most contraceptives are effective in terms of birth control after the first month. However, different women's bodies react differently to different contraceptives, and to different brands, eg. different brands of pills. Sometimes it takes a while to see if the contraceptive is suitable for your body. If a change is necessary, you would want to make that change well in advance of your wedding night, so you have peace of mind.

Reply to Angie