Question
Posted by: kitkat | 2007/03/07

How long are embryos frozen for?

I had ivf in November last year, 10 of my embryos were frozen. Can you tell me how long frozen embryos usually last for?

And do you just throw them away if you don't need them anymore, or can you do something else with them (donation?)

Dear Kit kat

Frozen embryos may be kept cryopreserved in access of 10 years without loss of quality. This is conforming to careful cryopreservation methodology. Where the embryos are no longer needed they can be discarded or donated and one should, as a precaution make provision for such in your will so that there is no confusion as to the status of these embryos in the future.