Question
Posted by: Rella | 2004/11/17

How is my diet?

Hello Doctor,
Please could you let me know if my diet is ok, im eating oats at 8, at 10:30 i have some provitas with cottage cheese and a protein shake(Extreme Protein by PERC) and three egg white in the shake, at 13:00 i have some chicken or tuna with salad or vegies, and at 15:30 i have another shake with 3 egg white in it. after gym (a spinning class & some weights) ill have just a shake no eggs and a piece of chicken with salad or veggies. i dont feel as if im loosing any weight, is there a reason for that?
Please could you assist me with the reason and what i shoud change.
Thank you.

Dear Rella
Are you really overweight? and what is your BMI? If your BMI is in the normal range (18-25) then you won't lose weight easily. You may also be ingesting too much energy with this diet (check how many cal or kJ the shake contains). To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake to 1500 cal or 6300 kJ a day.

1
Posted by: science | 2004/11/19

You are seriously overdosing on protein! if you follow this diet on the long term you run the risk of decalcification of your bones, as high prot leaches all calcium out of your body. Are you a bodybuilder?? I am guessing that you are taking way more that 1.5 to 2 g protein/kg body weight, which is even more than a pro-bodybuilder would be using. Moderation is the key, so you probably need to reduce the percentage prot in you diet and beef up the amount of carbs you are taking. I'm surprised that you can manage a spinning class with the low amount of carbs you are taking. Keep up the excercise, though. Also, follow DietDocs advice and check out you BMI. If its on the high side (closer to 25) you'll need to reduce you calorie intake, depending of course on your height and current weight.

Reply to science