Question
Posted by: Dee | 2004/10/26

How good is my BMR?

Dear Diet Doc

I worked out my BMR to be 1392. In one of the letters it said that you need to subtract 500 from that total to get the total amount of calories you should consume in a day. Could you please tell me a little more about the BMR - I know in laments terms but could you elaborate - is it an indication of the shape I am in. Is 1392 a good BMR to have? Another thing, how do you work out the calories in-calories out? I can't see how you can burn all those calories consumed. I only consume about 1000 a day but still, is it really possible to equal the calories in to the calories out?

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.

Dear Dee
Your BMR indicates how much energy you use up on a daily basis just to keep your body processes going without any movement or physical exercise at all. The BMR is influenced by factors such as age, sex, weight and body composition, so there is no real way to judge if your BMR is 'good' or not. The story about subtracting 500 from your BMR is not correct. You first need to calculate your BMR, add on how much energy you use for physical activity and then subtract 500 cal to find your energy requirement. It is practically impossible to work out precisely what the individual energy in, energy out should be for a person. We can only work on estimates, e.g. for slimming purposes you usually reduce your energy intake to 1500 cal a day. If your BMR is 1392 and you are4 only ingesting 1000 cal, then this is far too little to even make provision for your energy requirements for physical activity, thus please increase your energy intake to at least 1500 cal a day - you will certainly use these up and lose weight if this is what you have in mind.