Question
Posted by: Mo the monkey | 2007/05/30

How far can i go?

Hi CS...and everyhone.
I just want to know how far I can go without getting help for bipolar. I get suicidal and nutsy and hyper, that's when i think that i probably need help. But I'm normal now and i feel that i don't need it.
Does bipolar get worse? Will it develop into something like Schizophrenia? Or should i just leav it, cause i am getting used to it now?

What would be the POINT to trying to see how far you could go without help ? Help can, well, help. It doesn't bcom shizophrenia, but it can becom really srious and disabling, an there is some evidence that the longer this sort of illness goes without tretment, the less well it may respond to treatment when this is started. A "normal" phase is a good time to start treatment, as the mood stabolizers, like Lithium and others, are desined to keep on in the normal phase for as long as possible, to lessen the risk and frequency of highs or lows, and to make them less severe if and when they do turn up.
DO see a good local shrink for a proper assessment and help --- you deserve it, Mo. Why go through life as just Half a Mo, when you could be --- much Mo than that ?

1
Posted by: Chelle | 2007/05/30

If you had a stomach ache, that kept coming back every so often, and then went away, would you keep ignoring it and hope that it just didn't turn into cancer or something? Would you just allow yourself to get used the times when you were in pain?

I think you wouldn't - or most people wouldn't.

So rather get help with the bipolar, because you just never know when it will "flare" up and create major problems in your life.

Reply to Chelle