Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2009/11/19

How effective is Cognitive behavioural therapy

Good day Doctor

I posted an ad previously, please see the details below. I took your advice and am seeing a therapist who specialise in Cognitiive behavioural therapy. I have been for 4 sessions, she suggested that i start reciting affirmations each morning and in the evening such as " i do not care about my pimples"  My home set up is not ideal so i struggle at times to concentrate and focus on the affirmation, is this all CBT is meant to focus on and how effective is it. She says that an improvement is usually seen after 6 sessions. I do not pick the initial area i complained about yet am targeting other areas of my body now. Please advise in any way possible, also whether i should change my medication from cilift back to fluoxetine,

Kind regards
Lynne

Subject: obsessive skin picking

Hello there, Im a 30 year old woman, have always been a very nervous person and later on in life due to a rape and perhaps other factors devoloped strange obsessive compulsions, hand and body washing, this started about 10 years ago, i have given fluoxetine at that time. In the ten years i stopped taking it for about 2 years and was alright until someone in the family died, i was put on fluoxetine, and thereafter cilift as doctor thought this would be effective in treating my anxiiety. About a year ago or two ago i started picking at pimples and marks on my body, particularly my breasts and upper arms. It looks horrible and it is especially bad when im feeling stressed and anxious. Sometimes i pick at it until it bleeds, i feel so afraid that im doing harm unto myself for the long term. I have seen a psycologist but am moving work premises and need to find a new one closer to the premises. I have not told the psycologist of this, it is only my family who knows. Please help. thanks so much.

"Affirmations" are not at all a routine part of CBT, which usually ocusses more on logical testing and revision of the negative thoughts and actions you have been engaging in. There is a load of good scientific evidence of the effectiveness of CBT in its usual forms ; I know of none in favour of Affirmations as such.
There could be a useful focus on each area where you experience the behaviours you need to stop, and on learning other and better ways to deal with those feelings of stress
I can't cmment on Cilift vs Fluoxetine in your case, as this would depend on a direct personal assessment by a psychiatrist and on a detailed history of how each of these have affected you up to now.

2
Posted by: h | 2009/11/19

Lynne, you obviously want to get better. I would suggest that you think more positive about all the situations in your life.

Take control. You already doing something by going for therapy. The m ind is extremely powerful but you need to use it!
So use it and all the best.
hang in there.

Reply to h