Question
Posted by: Ivory | 2004/01/01

How does one delay the menopause?

I would like to delay the start of my menopause by as much as possible, since I have slightly low bone density. (I am in my late thirties). Is there any way I can do this? (Maybe eat foods that are rich in phytoestrogens, e.g. YAMS, or pick up weight, or take the contraceptive Pill)? Secondly, I would like to know whether it is true that the contraceptive injection (Depo Provera) can actually promote osteroporosis?

There is no way of delaying the menopause. Women are born with a certain number of eggs and, when these are exhausted, menopause occurs. What would be important for you would be to start HRt when you become menopausal. It is true that long term use of the injectable could promote osteoporosis.