Question
Posted by: Raven | 2004/12/07

How does increase metabolism affect cell reproduction?

I have a question: How does stimulating your metabolism affect the cells in your body? Say for example that there might be a destructive/cancerous cell somewhere in the body - If the metabolism is increased - using a stimulant - which in turn affects the thiroid gland - could this cells have the potential to grow faster? In other words would inceasing metobolic rate increase cells turnover time in all tissues including cancers?

Raven, it is a little more complex than that. First of all you will have to ake enough thyroid hormone to override the negative feedback. In other words, the body will switch off its own production as soon as you start taking thyroid hormone. Another thing to consider is that both bad and good cells will be stimulated. Cancer cells are abnormal and often don’t “listen” to the body anymore and might not even respond to an increase in thyroid hormone. If you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I receive it. Good luck.