Question
Posted by: Dieter | 2005/12/02

How do you balance your diet?

My diet consists of:

Breakfast 30g branflakes, 1t sugar and 20g raisins in the morning (I use hot water to make a porridge instead of milk)

Lunch 120g tuna and 100g veg (Like celery, mushrooms, peppers) and 30ml low oil mayo OR 90g potato, 100g veg, 30ml mayo and 20ml fat free cottage cheese plus a fruit like an apple or 120g of pawpaw, kiwi, melon ect

Supper: either an omlette (1 egg yolk and 2 egg whites with a little milk) filled with 100g veg and 100g salad (no dressing) on the side. OR 120g pasta, 160g chicken, 200g veg mixed together.

snack 30g cereal, 175ml fat free yoghurt, and 10m honey OR a peice of toast with peanutbutter and a glass of 2% milk.

I also exercise 30min per day 6 times per week on the orbitrek and drink 2 1/2 litres of water per day.

Some days I just can't help myself and I end up having a chocolate or like the other day it was someones birthday at work and I had a peice of cake. How do I work these sinful treats in without ruining my diet and sabotaging my weight loss?

Dear Dieter
Your basic diet is relatively balanced and except for adding another cup of fat-free milk to boost your calcium intake, reducing your protein portions (120g of tuna and 160g of chicken is rather excessive if you are trying to lose weight) and reducing your water intake to 2 litres per day (excessive water intake causes electrolyte imbalances and is also potentially harmful), I would not make any major changes. If you occasionally lapse and have a piece of cake or a chocolate this will not sabotage your diet. But if you have such treats every day then it will have an impact.
Keep up the good work with the exercise

1
Posted by: craver | 2005/12/02

One piece of cake or a choc once or twice a week shouldn't affect your weight, you should be able to maintain your weight(alhough not loose any). I suppose you are male? Your diet looks like mine and I'm female... maybe you are taking in to little food and that slows down your metablism

Any how, when I crave something i do eat it! But prior (not after) to eating it I go to gym for an extra heavy workout, then I derserve a treat, and most of the time i dont even feel like that treat after training anymore, but if ill go to gym after the choc it feels like im punishing myself and thats just to negative.

Something else, if you crave something and you give in once, it becomes easier to do that and then becomes a habit = problem. The more sugar you eat, the more youll crave....

Reply to craver