Question
Posted by: Trish | 2008/07/14

How do i tell my dad

My bf and i are getting engaged soon. We broke up 7 months ago....but have been back together for almost 5 months.

The problem is, my dad thinks ive been single single since the break-up.

Before we get engaged, i HAVE to tell my dad we are back together.

I am so nervous. I do not know what to say, where to start.....
My dad used to hate my bf. I am afraid he will reject me and never speak to me again if i tell him. (as he has done this before)

I dont wana loose my dad, but I am happy

Start at the beginning, and stop when you gert to the end. He may want, understandably, to know why you didn't tell him earlier, so have a simple and calm explanation for that.
Good luck with the session ; and do come back to the forum tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Maybe he'll surprise you and take it well ?

8
Posted by: Daddy Myself | 2008/07/15

Trish

I am a dad myself to a teenage boy that just made a girl pregnant. All decisions they are making now with the girls mom is without consultation or consideration of what we think.

Don't exclude your dad, talk to him and tell him the truth.

Reply to Daddy Myself
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/07/14

tx for the compliment butterfly, i hope when my kids want to marry etc i remember my own advice!!! good luck Trish PS it usually takes dads longer to admit their little girls are little no longer!!!

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Trish | 2008/07/14

My dad is a great guy, and strangely enough him and my bf have a lot in common. They are more alike than they realise.

We have been dating for almost 1 year and 7 months. We have broken up, but we cannot live withou each other!!

We make each other happy! My mom and my brother has accepted him and they get along really well. Its just my dad that has to come around. And im afraid my dad is the most stubborn person i know.....so that makes my situation somewhat worse.

I am leaving work at 3pm. I will let you know tomorrow what happened.

Thanks again

Reply to Trish
Posted by: butterfly | 2008/07/14

Good luck Im in the same situation, hope it works out for you.

Visitor : Ive been watching all your responses to the questions your advice is quite good you seem like a well experienced woman.

Reply to butterfly
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/07/14

let me just add, my son is 24 so i also understand from a parents point of view - we only want the best for our children and your dad sounds like a great guy so dont be too hard on him.

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/07/14

well good luck and let me know how it goes. listen most families have problems with the in laws. if u know in your heart he is a good guy and will make a good, kind, decent husband then you have nothing to worry about. if you dad cant accept him it will be his loss but he will probably eventually come around. dont give up on your b/f if he is really right for you

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Trish | 2008/07/14

Thank you visitor

I am 24 - almost 25 years of age

I know we have had our problems, who doenst! But my dad holds it againts him.

I have phoned my dad, and i am going over there in 2 hours....i am very nervous but i hope for the best

Reply to Trish
Posted by: visitor | 2008/07/14

sometimes parents have VERY good reasons for not liking their children's choice of spouses but if you are over the age of 21 then all you can do is ask him to be happy for you. i havent spoken to my sister in 5 years because she does not like my husband although i have been married for almost 25 years !!!! whether his reasons are good or bad you are making a choice of who you want to marry and he should give you his blessing.

Reply to visitor