Question
Posted by: dee | 2004/01/12

how do i stop impetigo from reoccuring

I have had impitgo twice, last year and this year. I first came down with it when i visited a friend who had bypass syrgery and then had streptacocchi virus, but the very bad strain that eventually killed him. After visiting him, I got impetigo, is is from him? I had never had it before, and I am 28 years old. The internet sites say its bad hygiene, which mine is not, i have excellent hygiene and am not in contact with children. So where does it come from and how do i stop it from comming back. I first appeared on my face above my lip, then on holiday, I got sunburnt on my bottom lip, and it came out there. It was swollen and so sore. what can i do to stop this every year, Both time i took penecillian antibiotic and bactraban cream for my nose and lip.

Dee, impetigo is more often caused by staphylococcus aureus than group A â-haemolytic streptococcus, but both respond well to the appropriate antibiotics. It might be that you were given the wrong antibiotic or that it wasn’t given for long enough. The best would be to have a pus swab sent away next time you have impetigo and to make sure of the cause and the appropriate antibiotic. Good luck.