Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2004/11/04

how do i start?

hi
i've never played golf before. how do i start, what would i need and how much will it cost me?

Expert ImageArchive

I recomend that you get a starter set of Ladies clubs (Irons, #3 and #5 wood, putter and a bag). You should be able to get this for about R2000

What you then need to do is to join a driving range, so that you have access to the practice facility as well as teaching professionals

Read up as much as you can about the game and looking at different tips - look at the wbsite www.golfauction.co.za for tips.

Once you can hit the ball every time and fairly well, then you should try and go onto a golf course for 9 holes. After doing this for a few times, you can join a course and get an official handicap to make it cost less every time you go onto the course

Darryl

1
Posted by: ac | 2004/11/09

Suzie,

I'd suggest you get yourself an inexpensive set of clubs - for R2000 you get get a brand new good ladies set + bag.
You can also start with second-hand clubs.

If you have no-one to practice with, become a member of a driving range where you can practice. They normally have training pro's withwhom you can take lessons.
Do not take too many lessons in the beginning 2 X 1hr is enough - this will cost about R120-R180 for 30mins.

When you can hit the ball, take a friend and start practising on the golf course - start with 9 holes - good caddies are the cheapest way and most effective way to get started.
Read golf magazines & books for begginers to teach yourself protocols, handicaps etc.

When you've gotten the "feel" and understanding of the sport and most importantly enjoying it, go for further lessons with a pro to improve your game - by now you'll know exactly where you're need help.

It is expensive at first but when you're in there and active you'll find ways of having enough practice at minimal costs. eg when I started to practice more on the course rather than driving range, I met golfers and I now get invited to golf days very often where I get practice without paying green-fees.

Have fun!

Reply to ac