Question
Posted by: sarah | 2005/06/23

how do i lose weight?

i am a 16 year old girl and i am about 5"3 and i weigh 66kgs. i gained a lot of weight during puberty but now i cant seem to get it off. last year i lost about 12 kg's but now its all come back again! i play hockey at school and i dont like sweets. maybe now and then i will have a packet of chips. this is my day: breakfast-2 pieces of wholweat toast and a grapefruit. Lunch- maybe a cheese roll. Supper- something like spaghetti bolognaise or something. i dont snack throughout the day. i have very LOW self esteem so it is important to lose weight. i tried that Herbi-life shakes but they got too expensive and werent working. now my mom wants to take me to the doctor to have blood tests to see if it is a metabolism thing or a thyroid problem but im petrified of needles! we cant afford to go to a dietician yet. i dont know what to do. im scared to have my blood taken. what do you think i should do? thanx

Dear Sarah
Please stop fretting as this can also make you more prone to gaining weight. Your present BMI = 25,8, which is just above the upper level of normal (25). To get back into the normal range you only need to lose 5 kg, which would give you a BMI = 24. Looking at your present diet, I don't think it is well balanced (e.g. not sufficient milk and yoghurt to provide you with the calcium you need to grow healthy bones - yes, you are still growing at the moment). To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). If you apply this diet and regular exercise of at least 30 min a day and you still don't lose weight then you can consider having tests done (I would recommend thyroid, female hormone and insulin tests). You will need to get over your fear of needles at some time or other in your life, so if you go for these tests, just look away when they take blood samples and you will be ok.
Hang in there