Question
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/20

How do I know when I am about to approach the menopause?

I am 39 years old and curious to know about the blood test I can have to determine whether or not I am approaching the menopause.

What is it called? How much does it cost? Do I need a doctor's referral to have this test, even if I pay for it myself?

Is it true that it can only be done on Day 3 of my period?

Expert ImageArchive

The diagnosis of menopause is based on symptoms of menopouse. Your GP or gynae will take a full history and examine you. If necessary a blood test for hormone levels can be done to confirm the clinical diagnosis. You need to be referred by a doctor for this test. The cost depends on whether the full hormonal profile is done or only selected hormone levels.