Question
Posted by: WWW | 2004/02/02

How do I help?

Hi Doc,
My son, a beautiful, strapping young man of 22 is suffering from depression. He is currently on medication which helps a lot, but I don't think it is a long term solution. My take on his situation is that although he has been studying, he has not achieved anything yet (academic that is) He has now decided to study in yet another field and I am concerned that if he is unsuccesful again it will just make matters worse. In addition, he was sodomised with a piece of wood by 4 thugs in March last year (he only shared this with me in November) He has had suicidal thoughts and although he has been for counselling it does not seem to help(therefore the continued use of anti depressants)
What can I do to help?

Dear WWW,
I appreciate your concern. The best answers to your questions would be provided by a good shrink who could see and re-assess your son, and re-evaluate the best means of treatment. From the sound of it, maybe his counsellor should be asked if he/she thinks the sessions are going well ; and maybe asking whether you, as his mother, could have a single session with the counsellor, to provide any background information that might be useful, and to discuss your remaining concerns, just to be sure that they are being taken into account ij the counselling --- but only with your son's approval of such a move, of course.

1
Posted by: Jage | 2004/02/02

I have an excellent book on study technology. It costs a whole R15! It's worth every cent. I guarantee it'll help. I'd be more than happy to send you a copy - give me your email address.

Reply to Jage