Question
Posted by: Jen | 2004/09/23

How do I handle this situation?

I am currently renting a room in a house which is also shared by two other people. The one person is working and the other(landlord) works from home. I'm working as well and when I do go home I'm in my room most of the time. So here's the thing - I've been noticing that the landlord is using stuff from the fridge which is mine in particularly my milk cos he's alway's drinking coffee. The reason how know this is becos i noticed my milk was not how I originally placed it in the morning when I left for work. He does not know that i know but I need to say something. I also think that he goes in my room when i'm not there but I can't lock the door becos the fuse box is in my room - (but that's a whole other story). How do I be assertive and tell him to stop doing what he's doing?? Obviously he's not going to admit to what he's doing but he's still a reasonable person. Please advice!!!

I agree with kernel --- if he blows a fuse, he can sit in the dark till you get home ---how often does that happen. I'm not familiar with majuba beans, but I can see the temptation of that technique. Maybe you can just cheerfully tell him that your doctor has started you on a new and powerful medicine for "female problems" ( mysteriously and worrying for most men !) and that you're to put the medicine in your milk and drink a prescribed amount of it each day. So you're sorry, you can't invite him for a cup of coffee with your own milk, or he might start growing breasts.
But the long-term solution, surely, is to seek somewhere else to live. And 5550429 has the best answer of all.

3
Posted by: 5550429 | 2004/09/23

I reckon, tell him that he's invading your privacy. Dont ask him because like you said he'll deny it. Say "Someone has been in my room and I know this because they've been drinking my milk...etc . I wont pay this month's rent if my door isnt fixed by next week and if I dont have assurance that noone will invade my privacy when I'm out". You have the right to not pay your rent if your landlord doesn't fulfill his duties so dont be scared to confront him if you are dissatified with the way he treats you. Dont forget that this man needs your rent money so if you threaten to not pay- he'll probably do something to sort the problem out.

When he does fix the lock I would suggest you get a door stopper- itfits into your lock to prevent a key from getting in. Only you will have the key to that stopper so only you will be able to open the door to your room.Ask your nearest locksmith about it.

Take a deep breath and confront him- dont be scared. Invasion of privacy is wrong besides What's the worst that can happen if you confront him?

Good luck!!

Reply to 5550429
Posted by: Kernel | 2004/09/23

Find your own room or flat. Everyone needs some privacy and a place where they can relax after work.

In the meantime lock your door. How many times in the last year were it necessary to have access to the fuse box? He can wait until you are back.

Reply to Kernel
Posted by: Q | 2004/09/23

yOU NEED TO TEACH HIM A LEASON, GET MAJUBA BEANS AND MAKE ONLY ONE FINE AND AD IT TO THE MILK OR WHAT EVER YOU USE, HE WILL GO TO HOSPITAL WITH THE SHITS AND LET ME TELL YOU HE WILL GET MESSAGE!!! iF SOME ONE STEELS YOUR MILK IF IT IS NOT HIM YOU WILL ATLEAST NOW WHO DOES!!!! i KNOW ITS FUNNY BUT QUICK EASY AND VERY FAST!!! IF JOU CANT GET THE BEANS GET A LASETIVE SUPER TABS MAKE THEM FINE AND MIX IT WITH THE MILK 3 SHOULD DO THE JOB!!!

Reply to Q