Question
Posted by: Shrink hunter | 2004/03/11

How do I go about finding a shrink??

Nyeeee, wassup doc.

I've just boosted my medical aid to a new spiffy robust package that I plan to use to attend to my mental health. But trouble is, I cannot find a psychologist. I just don't know how to go about finding one that I am comfortable enuff with. Oh how I'd wish they'd offer 14 day money back guaranteed trial periods.

Do u have any advice as to how I can go about finding a shrink??

Thanks dude,
Shrink hunter :-)

Dear hunter,
I wish there was a simple answer to this one, because there ought to be ! here are several directories available, some online, which list shrinks, psychologists and psychiatrists, with addresses and contact details, so you could find someone local The mental health advisory service at the University of Stellenbosch ( I don't have their web address to hand at the moment ) has such a listing. But in a sense, your local phone book contains a similar listing. What's lacking is proper info about the individual shrink's areas of interest and special expertise, perhaps the types of treatment they prefer to use. While most of us can help with most types of problems, where one has a particular type of problem, it would be better to choose a shrink with a paticular interest in that type of problem.
generally, the best one can do is to call someone's office and ask for such info.
At the further level you mention, about whether they're someone you'd feel comfortable with, there's really no way to predict that, as it's so very personal. It'd be hard for you to accurately and usefully describe the sort of person you'd want ( you might find yourself more comfortable with, and more greatly helped by, someone quite diferent from what you might expect ) ; and similarly, hard for a shrink to describe themselves in a way that would help you to make such a choice. There's no real substitute for a trial session.
While a money-back guarantee might sound great at your end, think of the poor shrink, slaving over a hot couch, day in, day out, being used by folks just there for the ride, and then asking for their money back. How would he feed his cat ?

2
Posted by: Shrink Hunter | 2004/03/13

Well...

I can't wait for the day Verimark or Glomail offer a 'shrink in a box' (including the free strawberry flavoured mental health shake and if u act now, u'll also get the handy mind guide handbook) with that 14 day money back guarantee I was speaking of. But I guess for now I'll just page through the phone book and do eenie-meenie.

I'm in Johannesburg (Northern suburbs), prefer English, wear size 8 shoes (and just to put it all on the table) dealing with issues of childhood molestation, occasional unexplained lack of self-control, self-love issues, sexual orientation conflicts, and other weird and wonderful things.

Reply to Shrink Hunter
Posted by: helper | 2004/03/12

Come on - the info is lacking? where do u want to see a psychologist? which part of Africa - or may South Africa?
what is your preferred language? all these thing we need to know to be able to help...come on...

Reply to helper