Question
Posted by: Arthur | 2007/03/01

How do I get through the next 3 years?

CS - Three years ago, while going through my mid-life crisis I guess, I realised that I had several areas in my life that needed fixing. So I set about making some really drastic changes - all good ones and I have been satisfied with the good progress that I have made.

However, one of the changes I had to make was my career. I was in the wrong job my whole life long. I think I stuck it out all these years because the money was good and even though I was getting nowhere near the level of satisfaction and achievement I should have had. I was determined though to make sure that I did not end my working career in a miserable, well paid job but rather in a satisfying, rewarding and reasonably well paid job. The trade-off, it seemed to me, would be worth it. In fact, I felt obliged to do it.

The snag was that it would take me at least six years to get the professional qualification I needed to make this change. I reasoned that the next 6 years would go by anyway, whether I did anything or not, so I launched into.

It is now three years later. Happily, I am on track. I have three years left and everyday I dream and yearn for the day I write my Boards and register - that dream remains my motivation to what has become a horrible grind to get through each and every day. But it is becoming increasingly difficult to do - I do not like my job, I do not respect my boss but, well, the money is good and crappy as the job is I am good at it.

How else can I keep on steaming and grinding through each day? What else can I do to make my present circumstances less of a chore, less of a mind-numbing grind? Do you have any tips for me to stop me from not thinking about how I can get out of not coming to work, not doing the rubbish that I do as a job? Not leaping across the desk to do bodily harm to my brain-donor of a boss? Besides dreaming about the day three years from now, I need to get through each working day in between then and now.

How else can I build up some motivation, some gumption, to last the next three years? Three Years!

Don't concentrate on the job as a determinent of your mood or satisfaction --- see it as what is poviding the means for you to do what you really want to do --- in that light, it is valuable for you. Look at the boss, and the frustrations as purely temporary, but remembering that, although they don't know ( nor need to ) they are helping you to achieve your ambitions.
And don't set yourslf up for a disappointment --- although your chosen new field may in time be far more satisfying, be realistic, and remember that EVERY job has its frustrations and its boring bits. Whether you become pope or pop-star, tedium is part of the deal.

3
Posted by: Buffs | 2007/03/01

Arthur im not sure how you can motivate yourself. You know you better than i do lol.

Maybe try rewarding yourself? every month go do something you enjoy or buy a book or a new text book or a new dvd.. make life exciting. .. sorry i cant be more helpful im one of those book wormy people who sees studying as its own reward LOL

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Arthur | 2007/03/01

Buffs, I know and I agree with you. Its the doing of the thing, the drudgery of every minute of every hour of every day that I am finding to be a challenge.

I've even considered starting to smoke so that I can get away from my desk. In fact, my boss thinks I have because I tell him I'm going for a smoke break...

I suppose that this is just a phase, that the impatience is my enthusiasm on steroids. Or something. I'm worried that lack of enthusiasm will affect my performance and I'm all out ideas on how to keep on keeping on.

Reply to Arthur
Posted by: Buffs | 2007/03/01

Im studying for my law degree and im stuck in a dead end completly boring job.

When i need motivation i just imagine what it will be like when i walk out of here and start practising law.

Dont look at it as a bad job where your boss is an idiot look at it as a means to get where you want to be. This is not what you will be doing forever, its just letting you pay for what you really want to do.

Just smile and imagine what life is going to be like 3 years from now when you have your degree, your half way there!

Reply to Buffs