Question
Posted by: jess | 2005/01/05

how do i get fit for harkerville hike??

I am going to take on a series of hikes...I'm seriously unfit and need to build up stamina. Also the last time i went on a 2 day hike every single muscle in my ached and i could not moved which resulted that i had to crawl up the mountain...the trails I'll be doing involves a lot of uphill and climbing..Usually I'm out of breath after the first 5 minutes of climbing...downhill I'm fine as well as level ground...
Please help..

Hi Jess

I am not sure exactly when this hike is, but the very simple answer to your question is that you just have to start building up towards the date of the hike, and steadily increase the amount of time you spend exercising, so that by the time the hike arrives, it's not a shock out of the blue to your system.

So, for example, if the hike is in 2 months, then you know that you will be required to exercise for a few hours a day, and you know what is coming, so you can prepare the body for it. My advice is that you begin with about 20 minutes of easy walking for a week. Then, build up so that after 3 weeks, you are doing about 45 minutes. On the weekend, I suggest that you go out for a slightly longer walk, maybe in excess of 90 minutes. The most important things are that you don't overdo it, so therefore, I would suggest that you take a day off every other day for the first little part, but also that you do actually get out and exercise. Unfortunately, there are no short cuts here, and the only thing to do is practice.

If you want a specific programme, there are a few to choose from on the Health24 site, if you just click on "Fitness" and then on "programmes'. There are many to choose from, but I think that the Shape Up programmes will make a good start for you.