Question
Posted by: Dylan | 2005/12/06

How do i drop muscle weight

Hey guys

I am an avid gym goer, i do an hour of gym every morning, my routine is made up of 4omins on the tread mill, with the use of polar watch i run at around 80% the entire time, then onto 20 mins of cycling, my problem is this.

It seems my legs are gaining muscle mass, quite a fair amount, my hamstrings; quads andglutes are getting bigger, muscle wise that is, but the problem is that i dont want them to get larger, i want the opposite, i want to tone down on my legs, pretty much to get them as lean as possible...

How do i drop weight in my legs, i am a fairly big guy, 88kgs and i am by no means fat, just big boned...

Please help me...

HI Dylan

This is a tricky one, because from what you have described, it's not due to your exercise routine. Often, people find that they are gaining weight because they are doing a lot of weight training in the gym, but you are doing solely cardio training, and so it seems that this is not the problem. In fact, if you were to ask how to go about losing weight and toning down, I would have suggested regular jogging or cycling, so you are doing what I would have said you should!

My opinion on this is that if you continue to run and continue to train, then you will eventually see that you begin to tone in addition to losing fat mass. The muscle development is quite normal, but it can't continue forever. Eventually, you will reach a plateau of muscle gain and bulking up, and then from that point onwards, you will only see toning and weight loss in the legs. I know that the initial reaction to seeing your legs bulking up is concern and worry that you will develop these massive legs, but it's not true, provided you just stick with it. So what I am trying to say that your perception that you are getting these huge legs will soon fade, your legs will begin to gain definition and then you will achieve the goal you set out to. But at the moment, it may just be the wrong time in the training programme to be assessing your progress. Give it a month or two more and then decide.