Question
Posted by: Thandeka | 2004/11/03

How do i deal with phobia of.......

Cats.....

I have alwayz been scared of cats since i was a kid. if im walking anywhere and i c a cat in the direction im approaching i always turn back and look for alternative route. just seing it gives me goosepumps. i have now found a granny cottage and the rent is very reasonable so i dont want to look for another place. Problem? All my neighbours have cats, and they are alwayz wondering in our yard. as a result my door and windows are alwayz closed, i'll rather suffocate than have cats in my sight. The worst thing is im working and studying. So i can only do my studying early morning 2am onwards and thats when they make these terrible noise, a sound like a baby crying. i get petrified, i'll be literally shaking. d sound is so terrible its like they right under my bed and i end up not studying nor sleeping bc the noise will go on until early morning.

People pls this is serious i need help urgently, i have my exams just around the corner and i cant study or concentrate with these noise. Is there anything i can do, that will keep them away?

Thandeka, you seem to be describing, perfectly, a typical specific phobia, a cat phobia. See a pssychiatrist as this can be easily and very successfully treated, freeing you from this irrational but overpowering fear. You could become so comfortable with cats that not only would they not bother you, you might even select one as a pet, believe it or not. But DO see a shrink for an assessment and discussion of treatment options

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/11/03

You will need to see someone about this, cats are not good to be afraid of as there are so many of them.

Worry not about those noises, its mating season and thats just the cat trying to get its rocks off.

Reply to Paul