Question
Posted by: Hailey | 2005/12/11

how did should portions be?

Hi.,
I found out i have IBS, and need to eat a high fibre diet.
As well as 6 meals a day.
What I want to know is what is classed as a meal?
Do you have to have veggies, protein and carbs as part of each meal or can you have a piece of fruit or yoghurt.

Please advise me, and if anyone knows of a good diet please let me know.
Thanks alot!

Dear Hailey
I would recommend that you also consult a clinical dietitian so that she/he can work out a high-fibre diet for you that takes your IBS into account (e.g. sensitivity to certain foods, etc). Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. It is not necessary to have carbs, proteins and veggies at each of your 6 meals, e.g. breakfast could consist of high-fibre porridge with milk and fruit, then at 10 am you could have a wholewheat, rye or seedbread sandwich with a boiled egg or cheese and a tomato, lunch lean meat with salads and fruit, etc.
Hope this helps