Question
Posted by: Enyogrub | 2010/06/10

How could Eltroxin affect my tolerance to alcohol?

Hi there,
I''''m a 53 year old white male.
I''''m generally fit and healthy.
I cycle and exercise regularly and I''''m not overweight.
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidsm in 1998 and I''''ve been taking 0.25 mg Eltroxin daily since then.
I have not suffered any of the noted side effects and have blood tests annually to check the necessary levels.
My question:
How could the Eltroxin affect my tolerance to alcohol ?
I don''''t drink alcohol excessively but I have noticed that after having 4 drinks in about 3 hours, my brain just switches ''''off'''' and I wake up the next morning having no recollection (from a certain point) of the previous night.
It is very disquieting, although my family and friends tell me I''''ve not embarrassed myself (yet!) and not even ''''acted drunk''''.
It''''s happened enough times over the past years to make me suspect an Eltroxin/alcohol interaction.
I value your opinion.

Hallo Enyogrub
There is no specific interaction but hypothyroidism affects your metabolism and in this way may affect the metabolism of alcohol, making it slower. Try not not take more than one drink per hour, and try not to drink on an empty stomach. Alcohol reduces the efficiency of your Eltroxin, so try to limit exessive alcohol intake

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/10

Hallo Enyogrub