Question
Posted by: Darlene | 2004/10/21

How can I get my metabolism back?

Hi Diet Doc,

I am 18 years old, and rather skinny. I'm 1.71 m tall. Up until a year ago I used to weigh 49kg constantly. I ate whatever I wanted, did whatever, exercise as little as I wanted or nothing at all! I ate so many sweets and chocolates, and it never affected my body. I stayed as skinny as always. And I really ate alot, especially fatty foods, like butter, and oil (crispy,oily chips), and then...Sweets. I never gained or lost weight, I just stayed at 49kg.
Well, then last year December I skipped my period for 3 months. I went to the doctor, and she prescribed Yasmin for 6 months. During that 6 months (I still ate what I wanted) and a bit after, I gained 6kg. I noticed I gained some weight around the waist, my stomach and lovehandles. And I could see it, there was a point where I saw the cellulite on my tummy, now that was a shock, as I always had the model body.
My mother and I joined Weighless, (we're there for approx. 10 weeks now, but I'm finishing there end of this month). Yes, it worked. I lost 2kgs in that time, but you see, it's because I cheated a lot, I would for instance eat cake and count it as one carb, and maybe a fat- I'd work it into my formula.
So the thing is now, like all women, I gain weigh when I eat wrong. even if I eat wrong over a weekend, I 'll see the difference in my tummy and lovehandles in the coming week. I'd lose it again after a week of eating right. This really is annoying, because I never used to be like this. I stayed at my weight, and that was that.

I want to know whether there is a way I can get my metabolism as high as it has always been. Is there anything I can do to get my body the way is was.

I want to make the Weigless eating plan, even after Weighless, a lifestyle, but I don't want to worry about gaining, after a weeks' holiday and wrong eating. I want to eat healthily most of the time because it's good for me, and healthy, not to keep the fat off.
Will I ever be the same, or is this my destiny.

I don't like exercising, and I'm worried that if I start with exercise (cardio, like taebo or aerobics), and stop after a while, that I will just gain more and more.

Any advice?

Darlene

Dear Darlene
If you weigh 55 kg at present (49 + 6) then your present BMI = 18,8m which is still dangerously low. When you weighed 49 kg your BMI was 16,8, which is anorexic and probably why your period stopped. Please try and gain some weight so that you get out of the danger zone. 64 kg would be an ideal weight and give you an ideal BMI of 22. I am worried that you have a totally unrealistic idea of your body image, weight, etc, and that you are a candidate for anorexia. Please try and be sensible and stop worrying about your weight which is way below the healthy, normal level. Do make the Weighless eating plan a way of life as you may then at least be eating a balanced diet.
Take care

1
Posted by: Maggie | 2004/10/21

Darlene you should not be weighing 49 kgs with a height of 1,71m you are too thin, your average should be minimum between 55 and 60kg, you are pretty tall for a girl. Plse dont fall into the trap that you weigh too much, 49kg is fit for someone that is 5ft.

Reply to Maggie