Question
Posted by: carol | 2003/03/26

How can I find out what food has lutein in it . my son is very allergic to it <br>

My son is extremly allergic to lutein please tell me where i can find information on WHAT FOODS HAVE LUITEN.
a DESPERATE MOM

Dear Carol
Lutein is a bioflavonoid or carotenoid and I must say that this is the first time that I have heard of someone having an allergy to this compound. Foods rich in carotenoids including lutein include all dark green and dark yellow or orange fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, butternut, pumpkin, broccoli, spinach, Hubbard squash, yellow sweetpotatoes, mango, apricots, spanspek, pawpaw. Egg yolk may also contain lutein if the hens have been fed a diet rich in carotenoids, as indicated by a dark yellow yolk as is found in free-range eggs. I would also like to suggest that you do a Search on this Website and on MWeb using the term 'lutein' to find out more about this carotenoid because knowledge is still rather limited about its occurrence in foods.
Holding thumbs for you