Question
Posted by: kk | 2008/01/02

how bad is salt?

hi there diet doc. Welcome back!
how bad is salt for you. I do not suffer from high blood pressure infact i have avslightly low blood pressure. But ther is so much hype at how bad salt is for you. I dont use it exessivly, but
can it effect my weight? does it cause noticible water retention

thanks

Dear KK
Thank you for welcoming me back. Hope you have a super New Year. Generally speaking, table salt or sodium intakes should be reduced as most people ingest much more than is required for good health. In individuals with what is called 'salt-sensitive hypertension', eating too much sodium does increase their blood pressure. In your case if you have slightly low bp, then a moderate salt intake is acceptable. If you have a tendency to retain water then eating too much salt can cause what is called an electrolyte imbalance which can cause water retention. Salt as such does not cause fat gain.

1
Posted by: Charline | 2009/02/16

I love my salt, i dont eat anything without salt. Ive gor salt every where in my handbag, the car my bedroom dining room. I read al this stuff about salt, but never had high blood pressure or anything?

Reply to Charline