Question
Posted by: sibling | 2006/11/13

How 2 survive sibling`s suicide

My younger sister (25yrs) committed suicide with my father`s gun a month ago leaving no note or any clue. Everyone in the house is VERY hurt, angry, feeling guilty and unable to cope. My other younger sister who found her first seem to be trying to be Ok which worries me, my father is not showing any emotions, my mom is VERY depressed & she can`t stop asking herself WHY.
She left her 2year old son who`s very close to me whom I think of adopting since I`m 28, married have a stable job with two girls age 5 & 1, they get along very well.
Please HELP with grieving supporting groups details.

Counselling for the family would be a really good idea. And someone like your younger sister may try hard to seem OK, but of course that doesn';t mean that she IS OK. As anon says, the group the Compassionate friends aims to help people who have lost a child, of any age, and would probaby also potentially welcome the rest of you sibs.

3
Posted by: J | 2006/11/14

My brother was a victim of suicide 3 years ago. He also shot himself. It is something that never goes away, you just learn to deal with it a little better. Compassionate Friends have been wonderful, in particular the suicide support group. Ask for a lady by the name of Jacqui - she is fantastic. It is also really important to get some sort of trauma counselling, and possibly long term psychological counselling.

My family and I would love to assist any other family who has been through this. If you would like to chat, let me know.
God Bless.

Reply to J
Posted by: ANON | 2006/11/13

Compassionate Friends 011 827-6035 or 011 918-1512 or 011 440-6322

Reply to ANON
Posted by: anon | 2006/11/13

First of all sibling, sorry to hear of the traumatic circumstances of your siblings suicide. Your mom and dad can join a support group called Compasionate Friends. Call Lifeline asap, you can get some telephonic counselling and also they can give you details of telephone numbers and support groups. There is a support group for suicide victims (family survivors). Not sure where you are in the country but Lifelline has contact details.

I think the whole family could do with trauma counselling. It is very important, its a great shock to any family and I can speak of first hand experience. Its best to see a psychologist who can help you work through your grief and emotions. Some people try to deal with their grief by not talking about it. Further on down the line they may become angry, etc. so its best to deal with it now.

Take care,

Reply to anon