Posted by: rebecca | 2009/02/26


Hi there. i need to check with you: Can an employee to whom the LRA not apply, who receives a housing subsidy, rent this property out, and rent another property? No profit is being made, and this was done purely for family reasons, as well as travelling to work which will be cut by say about only 10 minutes. Must this member declare that he is renting out his property? Can he lose his (i) subsidy, or (ii) the property? i am concerned about him losing either of the two. Thank you. PS. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT ARE. MANY THANKS

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


The LRA does apply to all employees. You need to check what the actual terms and conditions are as to whether you are allowed to rent out your property.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: reb | 2009/03/19

labour lawyer, the lra does not apply to members in the sandf.

Reply to reb
Posted by: JJ | 2009/03/03

They can stop the subsidy, the contracts usually states that you need to live in the subsidised house, if you rent it out you will not get the subsidy.

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Jakes | 2009/02/27

Check with a lawyer, but I don' t think the employer can do or change anything. As long as U have a bond, the subsidy is to help with bond repayments. Weather U live in the property or not shouldn' t make a difference.

Reply to Jakes

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.