Question
Posted by: Prilly | 2007/02/28

Housewife versus working woman

Just a question. Am I the only woman who would rather be a housewife than a working woman. I really envy the woman who can afford to stay home, clean, cook and be with there children. My life is so rushed, and I am always to tired to spend time with my family when I get home from work. I am sick of the stresses of a working womans life, but how the hell is one suppose to cope financially otherwise? My hubbie has own business, but still the money is not enough to get by. I am so close to resigning, and yet I know I cant, it would not be fiar to my husband to carry the burden of the bills on his own.

What are the other womans oppinions out there?

,,,,,

6
Posted by: Geza | 2007/03/01

not me.....

Reply to Geza
Posted by: Britty | 2007/03/01

I am a housewife after working my whole life and it is absolutely wonderful. At 50 I reckon I have earned early retirement and I don't feel guilty about it. It also helps that I've moved countries and live in a commuity of "expats" and very few of the wives work because the salaries for women are so bad. As regards financially, yes we can manage and I just make do with less as I don't need lots of clothes, make-up, shoes etc that I had for work. My skin has benefited from less make up, my husband has a plate of food ready in the evenings, its so much easier to pay the bills at the end of the month and grocery shop when its quieter, there is always someone home to sign for a delivery, the list goes on and on.

Friends used to ask me how I could bear being at home all day and I told them that on a Monday morning when I am lying in bed, listening to the rain pelting down with my cup of tea and cat beside me I think about "poor" people like them stuck in the traffic headed towards Cape Town and felt blessed.

I work on "what I need and not what I want" which has made a huge difference to me. I don't know your financial circumstances but I do reckon that you could be a stay at home mom if there were maybe not so many expectations.

I can't say the adjustment has been easy but it is possible and is an alternative lifestyle that can in many ways, not financial, benefit your family.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Emma | 2007/02/28

I think it is wonderful to be a housewife. I was one for close to 20 years. After my divorce I had to start working. Can't say I enjoy the 8 to 5 job much, but a girl has to make a living......

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Buzz | 2007/02/28

Prilly, there's nothing wrong in wanting to be a housewife, to some it may not be ambitious enough but for others, it works. If you can afford to stay home, and that's what you really want then do it. Your contribution to the household may not be in monetary terms, but in many other ways. I'm a stay-at-home mom, but it's not all it's made out to be - absolutely no glamour in it and mostly, an unthankful job.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Shae | 2007/02/28

Dont have kis and not married so i may have no business responding to this. I'd like to share my opinion tho. Ever since i was a little girl all i wanted to be was a wife and mother but life gave me a higher education and executive level job instead.

If i had a choice tho, i would probably want the same as RMC. A job that requires me to work from 10am till 14:00 or 15:00, four days a week.

I beleive that family values are suffering as a result of the dual income need and this is affecting our society to a degree.

People have adopted the instant gratification expectation and everything has to be faster and we want more and more and more.....and, we want it now. Sad becaue we dont stop to take a look at the scenary anymore.

When i become President, im gonna implement this system.

Reply to Shae
Posted by: RMC | 2007/02/28

My ideal would be a mornings only job so I could have both.

I think there is a big misconception that housewives don't "work" - as it can be very busy. However, I think I get more done by doing both (this is just what works for me) -- If I stayed at home all day I think I would go crqzy and might become lazy. I do enjoy it when I am on leave as thn I can start supper early and we can all eat together and it is not a rush to do everything. I cook bulk and freeze a lot.

I just cant understand the women who don't work, have a full tiem maid, all kids are in school and even get the domestics to make their tea and stuff when they are home.

Reply to RMC