advertisement
Question
Posted by: Dee Dee | 2005/07/15

Household cleaners and pregnancy

I am 23 weeks pregnant and in cleaning the toliet did not realize my husband had just flushed our well system with bleach. The bleach and toliet cleaner must have reacted and created a yellowish fluid in the bowl. As soon as I realized what was happening I flushed the toliet and left the bathroom. I had a very small burn to my eyes and throat but my main concern is for my baby. Do you think this could in any way effect my baby?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, it is most unlikely that this has caused you or your baby any harm. But it's sensible to be careful about such exposures, especially if you're pregnant or have small children in the home. You're right to be concerned about mixing chemicals - this can often result in more toxic fumes. Particularly, never mix chlorine bleach with products containing ammonia.

I believe that it's good idea in general to avoid using chemical products as much as possible, and then only according to the instructions, using gloves and with good ventilation and hand-washing afterwards. If you have a household job to do that requires chemicals, rather ask someone who isn't pregnant to do it for you, or put it off - within reason! - until after your pregnancy.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
Our users say:
Posted by: Mandy | 2005/09/05

Never mix chlorine bleach with products containing ammonia, is what you told Dee Dee on 15/07/2005, Unfortunately I have done that, to clean my shower. A few hours later I had symtoms like a very bad cold. Watery running nose, (like acute sinus) burning eyes, very dry cough. Will this pass, or cause permanent damage , what should I take , should I consult my doctor..
Mandy

Reply to Mandy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement