Question
Posted by: To do or not to do | 2004/10/21

House trained

Thanks for info on garlic, besides the fleas wanted to see if it has any other healthy influence on the dog.

Gabi - that is her name is a long legged fox terrier, she is my first pet since I left home many years ago - as a kid you are seldom involved in the training of the dog.

House training, I have I believed succesfully trained Gabi - I leave my back door open the whole day - and when I am at home gabi goes outside to do both her business, but when I go out she does it inside the house even though the door is open.

She is just 2 months old, does she still need to learn? What can i do to stop this behaviour, luckily my carpets are old and Nov/Dec is when I want to replace them, but I cannot do that with the fear she will soil them.

Hi "To do or not to do"
Your pup is far too young to be fully house-trained, although it seems she has the right idea. Young pups are often afraid to venture out in case they are threatening another animal's territory or in case of predators (instinct). If I were you I'd either leave her outside (with good shelter from the weather) or make a temporary toilet for her inside, using newspaper, straw, soil or a patch of real grass on a plastic sheet. At first put it where she has done her business before inside. Gradually move it towards the door and in a few weeks time you will be able to put it outside.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/22

And a lot of discipline from you the human! You have to get to know your dog and read his body language, when he wants to go out. Yours is still young and have confused moments, be patient and disciplined. My little min pin uses the newspaper in the kitchen at night but blunty refuses to use the same newspaper any other time. Weird. It took me 6 months to train her successfully to the point that I don't have to worry anymore. She asks for the door to be opened and I am now so conditioned with her, a bell goes off in my head the moment I notice her different behaviour, then I know, its time for toilet.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/21

Look at your local library for a good puppy rearing book. Any book that suggests smacking the dog is out of date and should be ignored, but I recently found a good one at my library. I needed a refresher, because its been 2 years since the last puppy. Also, if you can find a breed specific book it will help you understand your dog better.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/21

She is still very young. What you need to do is when she "goes" outside is praise her a lot. She will get the idea. Perhaps you can put paper down in a tiled room and close her in that when you go out? Or just put paper on the carpets - it will help a bit. Some dogs do take long to toilet train.

Reply to Acineth