Question
Posted by: lala4 | 2007/06/25

house matters

i am a single mum of 34yrs and my son is 4yrs old now.
i have a sleep-in nanny who is 30yrs and she helps me with cleaning, cooking, washing, ironing and taking care of my little one.

i do not earn that much (around R6000) and im renting a 1 bedroom flat in the city centre. i work as office administratror for a busy hr department, so there is always so much work to do and it is stressful most of the times.

i pay helper R900 and she goes home every quarter cos she's from lesotho. we have a good relationship, however some times theres differences which we experience, then talk about it and still see no improvement.

for instance, when she assumed duty i gave her the house rules and this included the fact that we sleep at 8:30 because 1. im stressed and prefer to have an early rest so i wake up refreshed/ 2. the principal from my son's creche adviced the children must sleep early and as parents we must stick to this routine, and they must not watch too much tv
3. i also have eye problems (dry itchy eyes) most of the times, and prefer to sleep early.

my bathroom is combined with the toilet and this is sometimes not good. in the morning I take a bath at 6H00 and 10 minutes before that she would go and release her stools and then when i go in to bath its smelling horrible. i have asked in the past that she goes earlier bfore dropping off the bomb but its not helping. i do not mind if a person comes in to urinate but more than its too much. how do I adress this again, politely and respectfully?

she is so keen on watching tv (movhango and motswako) until 10H00 pm and we end up sleeping late because of this. the bedroom door is not yet installed, this flat was a very big bachelor and now the landlord is turning it to a 1 bedroom. so the noise disrupts us and my little one would go back and watch tv wth her. she sleeps in the lounge and its nice and warm. but it would be better if the tv is off. when we talked she promised to keep the volume down and repeated that its not helping. what else can one ddo at this stage.

she has been with us for 8months now and she is good, even if its her first job.

her cousin lives 2 blocks away from us and she always has this urgency (that really irritate me) to go and see her. and sometimes she is not finished fetching the laundy from the washing line and there are cases in our complex when clothes were stolen, if u do not fetch them before dark.

the cousin also, is sometimes interferring. on saturdays we agreed that she can go to the cousin as from 14h00, but while im shopping, she would call me and say she needs to buy bread for the cousin and deliver it to her. i feel that she must be watching over the child by that time, instead of buying things for the cousin. this can wait until i come back at 13h00, its not an emergency.

and then the cousin is borrowin my vacuum cleaner, how did she know that i have this appliance? i think she heard it from my helper. and i do not like to borrow my appliances to others, if its get broken who will repair it? surely the cousin can afford to buy her own, she is working

please advice and thanks for reading

,,,,,